Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Informational Design

The class I'm currently taking is Informational Design. (Basically, creating tutorials and other educational multimedia products/content.) The overall course project involves creating a tutorial on a particular subject or topic. (For instance, there have been tutorials on playing a role playing game, diapering a baby and so on.) 

Despite having written a few "how to" articles and recipes, I'm extremely nervous about the class. There are a lot of high-level concepts related to education that I have to learn about, and in general, it's pretty intimidating.  (On the other hand, a lot of this stuff has been covered in other classes like Critical thinking and my other Web Design courses. I just have to figure out how to put it into use.) 

This week's assignment is to create an overview of the tutorial project I'm creating. This is going to be one of the harder parts, because I kind of have a writer's block for what I want to make a tutorial of. 

So far my tutorial ideas are:

  • Create a Video Using Windows Movie Maker (which sadly, is the only video editing program I'm currently familiar with. Premiere has defeated my meager understanding up to now.)  
  • Writing a Book Review
  • Creating a thesis statement for your paper.
  • Editing and Coloring a Scene from a Manga.
I am willing to accept other suggestions.