Monday, April 2, 2012

NaBloPoMo April: What was the first poem you ever memorized?


NaBloPoMo April 2012Right out of the gate, this first prompt is pretty hard. I am actually not always very good at memorizing things like poems and I only very rarely had the urge to commit one to memory! I was the sort of kid that would remember parts of a song and sing them over and over again until the nearest adult listener pitched a fit about the singing! My brother and sister were much better at that kind of thing. As an example, they had all of the major songs from Little Shop of Horrors completely memorized after only listening a few times. They could also quote most of the first Ghostbusters movie.

I on the other hand, could only memorize the lyrics to the first Transformers cartoon. I also have bits and pieces from The Wall, various children’s programs and fragments of Shel Silverstein.

With that in mind, I am afraid you are going to have to put up with a medley:


There is a place where the sidewalk ends.
We don’t need know education
(won’t you be my neighbor?)
Romper bomper stomper boo
It’s the Great Space Coaster, get on board!
Transformers, more than meets the eye
*Jem!--Jem is EX-CITE-MENT--Ooooh Jem!
SHINE! Like the Sun that lies beneath the Sea!
And there the sun burns crimson bright
HEY YOU GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYS!
Moving out in a new waaaaaaay
We don’t need no thought control
**There were two witches who whistled a waltz
Hey look! The Dungeons and Dragons ride!
You’re just another brick in the wall
I’m being eaten by a boa constrictor a boa constrictor
(Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can!)
Autobots wage their battles
Pinwheel spinwheel turning around look at my pinwheel
It’s the dance of Ar-kay-dee-a!
***GAAAAAAALLLTAAAAAAAAAAAR!
Hey teacher leave those kids alone
(We are the Littles!)
But we’re the Misfits! Our songs are better!
Uh-oh! Let me introduce you too...
Hey hey hey It’s FAAAAAAAAAAAAT ALBERT!
Children of the Sun, see your time has just begun!
YO JOE--He’ll fight for freedom wherever there’s trouble
Thundarr The BARBARIAN!
(In the year 1994 a comet hurtles between the earth and the moon...)
To destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons!



*The only reason I watched this was because it was on before Transformers. I thought it was stupid and boring because there were no explosions and fighting.
**True story: I used to think this line “There were two witches who whistled to wolves.”
***I am sorry Galtar, but that thing is NOT a lance. It’s a double ended ^sword-thingie that splits into two swords.

^This is of course a highly technical term.