Saturday, October 20, 2012

GBE2 Blog On Prompt 74: Getting rid of Mental Cobwebs



There are long periods of time where I cannot write at all. I will have many ideas, but no motivation or confidence to write them down, or no ideas and all I can do is stare blankly at the page or the cursor while nothing much happens in my head. Sometimes for a little variety, I will have an idea, but no access to writing materials. Of course, when this happens and I do finally get access to writing materials, the brilliant idea has migrated elsewhere. This can be extremely frustrating, especially when I have projects that I want to work on but cannot because nothing is coming out the way I want it to, or at all. 

It is not so much writer’s block as it is writer’s cobwebs. My brain is a very large dusty attic filled with old furniture and boxes and I can never find what I’m looking for because it is buried under a mountain of junk. If I am having a bad day, and there have been a lot of them, it can take me forever just to write two hundred words. (I am amazed by people who can apparently crank out a thousand words in an hour.)   

So, here is a few of the things I do in order to clear out the cobwebs.

1. If I am having problems with one project, I will go work on a different project. The other project may or may not involve writing. (I usually have multiple documents open at once so I can move from one writing project to another.)

2. Take a walk/do something else for a while, either chores or just taking a walk. (I actually need to try to do this one more often.)  

3. Read a book or watch TV for a while. Listen to music or watch videos on YouTube or something. (I like to watch fan-made music videos of the shows I watch. It can occasionally inspire me to write more.)

4. Research. This can be for something you are going to be writing, or it could just be something random, such as looking up a movie someone mentioned in an article or blog post. (This can occasionally be a pain because I am easily distracted and will completely lose track of time I as I look things up.)

5. If I am having trouble writing at the keyboard, it usually helps for me to switch to pen and paper, or vice versa.